Wednesday, July 18, 2007

11th day of sweat

It's Wednesday so far this week I have 2,139 words. 15, 560 out of 85,000. Wow that look amazon written down! I never had that many words written before. The middle of my story has always been the hardest part for me. I'm in the middle, as you can see. For some writers this may still be the beginning....and in a way it is. I have written something everyday! Its so great! But my daily goal is 1,300 words. So far this week I haven't written that many on any given day. The reason is I'm scared! Like I said before never been here before in a manuscript. This is about the time I start doubting my story. So far I'm not doubting it. In fact I'm thinking if they (they being the published Authors of the world. Love y'all, keep writing those amazing stories!) any who, if they can do, so can I! If they think their stories suck while they write, then I'm not in bad company. I can't tell you how bad I want this! So if any of you have any tips or advice to help keep writing please share!
Thank you!
Annie

2 comments:

  1. Hi Annie!

    First of all, a huge YAY on making it farther than you ever have in a manuscript!!! Awesome stuff...

    Okay, well, you're talking to the queen of out of order writing, so I'm going to agree with your mom (referring to the comment you made on Alison's site.)

    For the most part, I always write out of order. ALWAYS. In fact, I usually have the first 3 chapters kind of, sort of in order and then I'm working on the black moment, the end, anything that I'm excited to write.

    Does it make for some rewriting sometimes? Yes, absolutely it does. But I've tried to write entire books in order - and I get frustrated - I get to the point you are now. So skipping around helps me keep moving forward.

    Remember - there's no one right way to right, only the right way that works for you. There's no hard and fast, in order, rule. Skip around, see how it feels. You've got to experiment with a lot of different things before you find your method.

    If that doesn't work for you, try to picture the next scene in order like a movie in your mind. Watch it, maybe even walk yourself through it, like you're directing your characters.

    And I love the way you describe how you feel about where you are in the ms as 'good and scary.' That's the coolest part...

    You can do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annie!

    You know what Steph said? I used to think she was crazy.

    Before I sold, I wrote completely in order. If I got stuck, I'd start something new...until I got stuck. So I had a million partial manuscripts.

    Eventually I did finish several of them, but it never happened all at once.

    Now that I have deadlines, I can't afford to stall, so I will write a scene that comes later in the manuscript. Yes, it'll need to be reworked later, but it keeps the forward momentum going.

    Another thing I do? Read. Sounds pretty basic, but when I'm truly stuck, I take a day to read something out of my TBR pile, and often that'll spark something.

    Congratulations on getting so far in the manuscript--that's SO fantastic!!!!

    ReplyDelete